The “big game” is on Sunday! The National Highway Traffic and Safety Administration (NHTSA) offers these tips:
If you're attending a party or watching the game at a sports bar or restaurant:
1. Designate your sober driver, or plan another way to get home safely before the party begins.
2. If you don't have a designated driver, then ask a sober friend for a ride home; call a cab, friend, or family member to come and get you; or just stay in for the night.
3. Use your community's sober ride program.
4. Never let friends drive if they have had too much to drink.
5. Always buckle up – it's still your best defense against drunk drivers.
If you’re hosting a party:
1. Remember, you can be held liable and prosecuted if someone you served ends up in a drunk-driving crash.
2. Make sure all of your guests designate their sober drivers in advance, or help arrange alternate transportation.
3. Serve lots of food and include lots of non-alcoholic beverages at the party.
4. Stop serving alcohol at the end of the third quarter of the game and begin serving coffee and dessert.
5. Keep the numbers for local cab companies handy, and take the keys away from anyone who has had too much to drink.
Find out about the dangers of impaired driving on the NHTSA website.